Sunday, July 14, 2013

Higher Education : Is it for everyone?

     For the last year we have worked diligently to get my oldest in the college of her choice. Yes she was allowed to choose her school but the choice for higher education was never an option. We have always let our girls know that they were expected to attend college. My husband tells them from day one of their education that college starts now. He reminds them daily that it is there education , they are in control. We are there to help guide and support them along the way. 
      In the past few weeks my mother has been discussing a nephew that wants to go to college. Hr graduated two years ago. His mother ,my sister, is not willing to help him get enrolled. She feels he should work to pay back a debt he owes her and then attend college. My mother has asked for my help because as she stated college is expected for our children , my sister did not attend college so it's not an expectation for her children. Of course I will help him, never discourage a child wanting to further their education. 
      Although we expect it  from our children and we are both college graduates working on our masters, I do not feel that every child is college bound. I do not feel that because I am a college grad I am better than anyone who is not. In one of my teacher of the year essays I wrote about this exact issue. In public education so many times we steer kids down the path to a college education. Is this wrong? Of course not, but not every child will attend college. I feel we need to also focus on the stunts that will some day be our mailman, trash man, mechanic and many other trades people that we need daily. I watched an episode of wife swap the other day one family was very education driven,the other family thought it was important but did not instill that in their children. This particular mom stated that if her child came in and said they wanted to be a trash man and oh by the way I am gay, she would be happy for them. This is not wrong you should always support your children. Is it wrong to have higher expectations for them? I'll leave you with that question to ponder. 


No comments:

Post a Comment